Teacher Preacher

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teacher Preacher

Amber Simic, Reporter

As students we spend up to 40 hours a week with our teachers. We listen to them, we learn from them, and occasionally we doze off in front of them. One would think that through spending so much time with teachers we would also learn about them. But how much do we really know? No one could say what Mr. Reiner’s favorite color is, or what type of ice cream Dr. Guru likes. Thankfully, the teacher preacher goes beyond the daily dosing of the school day and asks the questions we all want to know the answer to. This month three teachers, Dr. Rolfs, Dr. Bullio and Mr.Vaughn were all interviewed and revealed insight into their positions within the school, along with some humorous anecdotes from their past.

Mr. Vaughn is a familiar face to a lot of students, as he taught Spanish in the Brookfield Academy Middle School. Although he continues to teach Spanish in the high school, Mr.Vaughn also took up the new position this year as Instructional Technology Director. In order for us to get to know Mr. Vaughn in his new role, the teacher preacher asked him a series of questions about his tech savvy past and his goals for BA’s technological future. Mr. Vaughn was first asked, “What got you interested in Computer Science?” He responded by explaining that computer science was the way of the future, as it offers lots of opportunities for everyone involved with it. He was then asked “Where do you see the future of Brookfield Academies Technological Department Going?” Mr.Vaughn answered by explaining that wants to give students the opportunity for hands-on learning and work with the available technological resources BA offers them. Mr.Vaughn would also like to invite guest speakers to come to BA who have experience or careers in computer science to show students the job opportunities and benefits that come with a knowledgeable background in computer science. Finally, Mr.Vaughn was asked what he wanted to be when he grew up when he was younger. To this question Mr.Vaughn chuckled and explained that he wanted to be a pediatrician but then found out that math is too hard and instead felt the call to teach.

Next, we spoke to the former West Civ and philosophy teacher, Dr. Bullio. As our new dean of students, Dr. Bullio is very much involved with our everyday school lives, making it important for us to get to know him properly. When asked what his favorite part of his job was, he responded by saying that being surrounded by wonderful, enthusiastic people who care about the school and getting to know the student body as young people is what makes his new job so exciting. Dr. Bullio was then asked which of the many hundreds of books he has read he would suggest for the students. In his opinion, Plato’s Republic is a must for all BA students. Growing up, Dr. Bullio wanted to be either an astronaut, a firefighter, or an airplane pilot. However, he eventually realized that he loved learning and wanted to be a student for life. So as the Dean of Students, Dr. Bullio continues to commit himself to learning more about world around him and reading as much.

Our third and Final teacher for this month is Dr. Rolfs. Dr. Rolfs has a PhD in American history and a minor in Middle Eastern history that he earned at Florida State University and is currently teaching U.S history and AP US History at Brookfield Academy. Dr. Rolfs has taught at Mclays College Prep School until 2002 and has also worked at a Catholic school in Tallahassee, Florida. Growing up, Dr. Rolfs wanted to be a truck driver. However, his dream of rocking down Route 66 fizzled out when his mother introduced reading to him, and he soon developed a new interest in history and law.

The interviews with these three education experts was both insightful and intriguing. Next month the teacher preacher will interview the teachers of the math department to explore beyond their knowledge of equation and expressions and dig into the aspects of what makes being a teacher at Brookfield Academy so exhilarating.