Honoring our Veterans

Back to Article
Back to Article

Honoring our Veterans

The Doughnut Lassies

The Doughnut Lassies

Reena Singhal

The Doughnut Lassies

Reena Singhal

Reena Singhal

The Doughnut Lassies

Charlotte Aexel

Reena Singhal
Rho Kappa senior Andrew Demaster Introduces guest Speaker

Over the last few weeks, the entire Brookfield Academy faculty and student body has come together to commemorate the centenary of the Armistice, the famous and pivotal document signed in a train car, that ended the Great War.

World War One, often referred to as “the first total war”, had an enormous impact on multiple countries, both on the front and at home. Millions of lives were lost, and even more permanently affected. Landscapes were destroyed. World War One continues to fascinate people, conjuring images of cities with their haunting ruins of Medieval architecture, and the iconic horror of modern weaponry and trench warfare.

One hundred years ago seems like a long time, and on such an anniversary, if the event goes unrecognized, the significance can feel dusty and distant. The BA students, thanks to Rho Kappa and Mrs. Ray, allowed everyone not only to remember, but also to come together as a community. As you could probably see, entering the atrium, posters lined the walls. Each club made one, detailing the significance of their topic through pictures, facts, poetry, music and art.  A banner hung over the balcony, and the display case was a time machine, filled with incredibly rare antiques, such as a flag from a German imperial navy cruiser. Some of the items, which Mrs. Ray so wonderfully arranged for us in the display case, were donated generously by complete strangers that she met at a shop for military antiques, which really exemplifies how much history can weave our community into a single cloth, both inside the school, and from outside. Moreover, not only are the objects utterly fascinating, but each one is connected to a story, either of an Academy family like Mrs. Ray’s personal belongings, as well as those of Mr. Richardson or the Von Estorff family,  or of someone else, someone that in our imaginations is only a shadow, but still manages to make us fall silent as we think of that person’s sacrifice. And, according to Mrs. Ray (and the general student body), the most thrilling part of the whole experience was seeing all students, whether they usually viewed history as a priority or not, involve themselves in the commemoration, creating their posters, and reading other clubs’. Of course, on Monday, our guest speaker, Major Nelson De La Vergne of the Salvation Army, drove the point even further home, through his eloquent words, that a war is much more than the front lines. The home front is a vital part of any war effort. His story of how local women went to France to make doughnuts for the soldiers reminds us that on important anniversaries such as this, we respect and honor the memory not only of those who fought for our freedom, but also of those who supported behind the scenes. Whether they were operating from the front line or bringing hot food to recovering soldiers, their memories deserve to be lauded for their bravery, perseverance, and sacrifice.

Last week, Veteran’s Day Weekend, and Monday’s assembly proved the presence of the past and of community, and all students were part of it, whether they came for the anniversary or for the donuts.

About the Writer
Charlotte Aexel, Reporter

Charlotte Aexel is a sophomore at Brookfield Academy and is excited to participate in her first year on the Newspaper staff. She will be writing reviews...