Club Spotlight: Asian Culture Club

Teachers+Ms.+Schlosser%2C+Senor+Morse-Caruso%2C+Mrs.+Kessler%2C+Mr.+Pabian%2C+and+Dr.+Guru+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Club Spotlight: Asian Culture Club

Teachers Ms. Schlosser, Senor Morse-Caruso, Mrs. Kessler, Mr. Pabian, and Dr. Guru

Isabel Thomas

2008: A sweet, sweet time – shed a few tears as you recall. Barack Obama, our icon, becomes president.
Britney releases “Circus.” Asian Culture Club invades the halls of BA, headed by faculty advisors Dr. Frasier and Dr. Guru.

Asian Culture Club blossomed to serve the needs of an increasingly diverse BA student body: ACC’s aim
is to celebrate all cultures and nations of Asia, offering viewpoints other than that of traditional western
civilization, thereby promoting cross-cultural dialogue.

Celebrating a different country each month, we run flag-coloring contests and scavenger hunts. From
cultural lunches stuffed with egg rolls and mango juice that raise money for girls’ education in India to an International Night dance that draws from Spanish, French, and German clubs, ACC exposes the general BA student body to the rich cultural heritage of classmates. We paint henna before Sadie’s, run chopstick contests, teach phrases from Asian languages, dance throughout the year and in the talent show, and educate the student body at assembly about cultural events like Diwali and Chinese New Year.

We aren’t here just to serve Asian and international students, however. “You don’t have to be brown to
join Asian Culture Club,” reminds Dr. Guru. We want all of BA to appreciate the beauty of Asian
cultures, and to help each other learn more about dialogue and engagement: If you’re interested in joining our club and participating in our events, feel free to attend our Tuesday meetings in Dr. Guru’s at break! We’d love to see you there.

Advisor: Dr. Guru

Presidents: Vibhu Kolli and Isabel Thomas

Treasurer: Vaishu Gundamraj

Secretary: Oishee Chakrabarti