A Line is a Dot that Went for a Walk

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Line is a Dot that Went for a Walk

Detail of Color work by the Art Club

Detail of Color work by the Art Club

Janet Bruhn

Detail of Color work by the Art Club

Janet Bruhn

Janet Bruhn

Detail of Color work by the Art Club

Emily Elfelt, Reporter

Color work completed by Art Club

A unique, school-wide art project reminiscent of Swiss artist Paul Klee’s cubist style has crept into the halls of the Upper School these past two weeks. After the introduction of a cheery sunflower painting installation this past year, as well the Alumni Art Gallery, art teacher Mrs. Elaine Buckley could not resist the addition of another colorful project to further brighten the school’s empty walls. Buckley was inspired by Klee’s statement, “A line is a dot that went for a walk,” and constructed her own set of conditions for students: the first person begins the piece by silently drawing a line and handing off the stick of charcoal to the next student, without speaking, to pick up where the first person left off. With each new period of the day, a new line begins.

The mural quickly filled up with lines over the span of two weeks. Fatima Warraich, a senior, and various members of Art Club have periodically added colorful paint between and over the charcoal lines, creating a variety of bright shapes, images, and words.

School Wide Art Project

Without a doubt, Paul Klee’s words have truly inspired our students to channel their creative energy and participate in a school-wide artistic endeavor. The art department will certainly introduce more opportunities for the whole student body to take advantage of, enabling those who do not take studio art classes to participate in the arts.