Filed under Arts, Culture, Uncategorized

Us: Jordan Peele’s Big Money Disappointment

As an avid fan of thrillers, suspense, and psychological thrillers, I was overjoyed to hear that Jordan Peele, the creator of last year’s thriller, Get Out, was making another movie, this time entitled Us, a movie meant to highlight the darker side of humans and ourselves.

Needless to say, Get Out was a suspenseful masterpiece, and I was more than excited to see this film, but I could not have been more disappointed.

For one, the premise of the movie is that a family who goes on vacation to the West Coast is tormented by disturbed versions of themselves, which sounds like the perfect level of terrifying. However, the actual plot of the movie didn’t quite follow that idea, and focused more on where these other beings came from, which, I’ll tell you now, wasn’t our minds, but an underground labyrinth, which made the idea that was supposed to be scary almost laughable.

I do remember chuckling at the things which were meant to be frightening – I think I was honestly more scared while watching the cheap thrill that was Truth or Dare.

In the beginning of the film, the protagonist is much younger than she is during the main plot line, a youthful version of the mother in the story (played by Lupita Nyong’o). She wanders into a broken carnival attraction and stumbles upon the version of herself. This part, as well as the beginning portions of the film did manage to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and make me wonder what was happening. However, after about a half an hour, I no longer found the other family scary.

Furthermore, the cinematography went from thriller to horror in about five seconds. When the leading family (a mother, father, brother and sister), are face to face with their alternate selves, all of the mystery of the situation fades, and the audience is left with nothing to wonder at, but rather a horror movie plot, full of fake blood and people falling off of balconies, which reminded me more of a Friday night Lifetime Channel Original than a big budget fill, made by the new ‘master of suspense’, who has somehow been entrusted to recreate The Twilight Zone.

In Get Out, the plot takes a turn into the dangers of science, and real – world phenomena, as the protagonist of the film is trapped in a house where he is experimented upon. In the beginning of Us, the camera shows a giant wall of rabbits in cages, which led me to believe that there would be that similar aspect. Furthermore, the daughter mentions something about how the government controls everything, which lead me to believe that there would be some sort of government experiment going on.

However, as I watched the film, I found out that the government was not to be touched on again, and that the rabbits were for the alternate selves to eat, which I found to be extremely less creepy, and honestly, a bit bizarre, and that’s coming from me, the Queen of Weird.

Furthermore, the plot was incoherent, and there were so many things happening, that the audience never had the ominous moment that connected the story to real life, or made them think it could happen again. I knew what the moment was supposed to be, but after it all, it was anticlimactic, and didn’t really make sense.

Not every part of this movie was terrible – the music was good, and the acting was nice, but notice I used the words ‘good’ and ‘nice’. I don’t have a lot to say.

One of two things happened. Either, Jordan Peele used up his lifelong idea in Get Out, and was so uninspired that he jammed every idea he’d ever had into Us, making it extremely convoluted, or he tried way too hard to make it scary and failed. Despite his triumph at the box office (which I attribute to what Nietzsche called ‘die herde’, or the ‘sheeple’, who assumed that since Jordan Peele made it, it would be good), I think Jordan Peele needs to separate his ideas (which are actually pretty interesting), and use them for different movies, or learn how to present them.

Or perhaps, he shouldn’t write, direct, and produce his own movie, and should find a new editor.

I don’t know at this point. Hopefully, The Twilight Zone is better, and if you’d like to see an actually scary yet recent movie, you should watch Greta, starring Chloe Grace Moretz, about a New York woman who lures people into her apartment.

About the Writer
Charlotte Aexel, Reporter

Charlotte Aexel is a sophomore at Brookfield Academy and is excited to participate in her first year on the Newspaper staff. She will be writing reviews...