Patriots Hall Upper School – Brookfield Academy in Brookfield, Wisconsin
https://explore.proquest.com/sirsissuesresearcher/document/2262811642?accountid=9746. https://explore.proquest.com/sirsissuesresearcher/document/2472201004?accountid=9746.

Demystifing High School Grading systems, How do we protect education?

What kind of grading system is fair and encourages student learning?

May 5, 2023

It is easy to hear criticism of traditional grading systems. The grading system that grades students based on points and percentages of assignment, quiz and test seems to be a lagging and failing system. Educators are trying to update the grading systems think students’ behavior and their willing to study is more important. Teachers should not give a low point because that may make students’ lose their self-confidence. Schools should struggling students instead of just giving an F.

Ideas were raised for reforming the grading system and the education system. Most of schools are still using percentage or point system, but some schools are using holistic approach. The holistic approach reward students for meeting or exceeding certain standards, but this system seems taking the education to another extreme. The new grading system will also conflict with educational equity.

A blue scantron bubble test sheet ready to be filled out with a sharpened number two yellow pencil. (Keith Bell)

Two teachers from Brookfield academy, which is the Wisconsin best private high school, answer some questions about why they stick to our grading system during the interview.

Picture of Mr.Polster, who owned master's Degree at American College of Education

The grading system ignores the soft-skill behaviors, but how do we make sure that the grading to soft behaviors is fair? “It’s too difficult for teachers to see how hard students work at home, or how much time they spend on homework. “It’s a part of students’ responsibility”, Mr.Polster said.

People also call for a post-exam feedback system. Teachers should allow students to get their test scores after mastering the knowledge even if the students do not do well in the test.

Mr.Polster said:”We don’t want students to argue or get their credit back after the test, because that’s unfair to other students who did well in the test.”On the other hand, the grading system encouraged students to work hard and study for their scores. Although they may only work hard for tests.

When we introduce more diverse and more nuanced grading standards, it becomes more difficult for teachers to evaluate students’ performance, making education more unbalanced. Including class performance, effort, and even the ability of the students themselves are largely determined by the teacher’s perception rather than objective grades.

Using a fair and objective grading system to assess students’ ability is the most important thing for schools.

The math class in Brookfield academy is focused on the test grade and quiz instead of assignment. “Yes I do put more weight on the test and I do the quiz”. Paying attention to examinations does not mean despising homework. Mr. Polster said:” If I have a group of students who need to do that, then I will certainly grade them”.

A good grading system should not only Paying attention to students’ academics, but also taking care of the education fairness. That also correlates with BA’s five stars. The intellect. Only Grading fairly can show students’ intellect and their hard work.

When a reporter asked if Mr.Polster would reduce credits for students’ behavior during the class, Mr.Polster said:”I don’t think it’s a very fair thing to do that to reduce points because of their behavior. It’s something out of the grading system.” Sometimes an overly diverse grading system can confuse teachers and make grading unfair.

Interestingly, although some people are dissatisfied with the existing grading system, the two teachers of BA agree with the existing grading system. “With the grade, I think it inflated in a lot of places. I’m not giving grade that a little bit higher than my comfortable, I fear that my students have disadvantages in college,” Mr. Polster replied.

In BA, teachers also used a standard grading scale, schools provided grading scales to teachers and teachers would grade based on this scale. “I use a grading scale created by the school and based on students’ performance. A scale can make sure that the grading in school is fair.” Mrs.Siegrist-Ragan said.

Although teachers have freedom in their own lessons and subjects, the grading system is standardized well. Mr.Polster answered,”Particularly in Math and Science staff, I think we grade very fairly consistently.”