Interviewing Mr.schultz, the instructor of BA musical

The theater department chair, Mr. Schultz, answered some questions about the BA musical performance.The musical in February was  “Cinderella,” which tells a story about how a girl transforms into a princess and meets the prince. 

On February 24, February 25, and February 26, BA held four performances of their show at Sussex  Hamilton High School. The performances were successful. Students were excited for watching the musical.

“We did well on Friday night.”Mr.Schultz replied after the first performance on Friday night. Practice makes perfect. Students spent a long time rehearsing.

A group of stage crew members started helping rehearsal at 2 weeks before the formal performance. Stage crew is tiring and hard. Students worked for four hours in the theater after school each day during the final weeks of rehearsal.

Being a member of the stage crew also can help one earn respect from other people. “You guys did a great job. You should be proud of what you did,” Mr. Schultz said when he talked with a crew member.

Being an actor is even harder than being in the stage crew. “Actors start playing when they are in middle school, but we will have some additions,” Students who have a “background” will have an easier time getting into theater.

Everyone who is interested in the musical or performance was able

being in the crew or actors. It is a variety group, and not all the students required to have rich performance experience and good skills.

“We also like a certain type of students, Issac is a good example. He is in sports and I know he can move sets,”

— Mr.Schultz

Mr. Schultz added.

Mr. Schultz also talked about the long hours of rehearsal. The training time for actors is much longer than crew members. “ The musical rehearsal is about 12 weeks/3 months,”he said.

Before the rehearsal, teachers and crew members had to do some preparations. Mr.Schultz also talked about how people rehearse on the big stage.“We taped out the rehearsal floor so that actors will have visual reference.” 

The interesting thing is Mr. Schultz was not a professional actor. He decided to teach and direct school performances. He does such a great job. “It’s a fun thing that we are able to teach students what to do,” Mr.Shultz said about students who have never done theater before.